How time flies when you’re having fun? 10 years ago (almost to the day), I published my first mix online. “Funky Pants” was produced as a one-off short mix for personal pleasure but, on a whim, I decided to post a link to the MP3 from my blog for others to potentially enjoy.
At the time, iTunes was gaining traction along with the iPod range and they introduced the Podcast feature. After a little bit of research and a few more mixes, I did a bit of work behind the scenes and submitted the feed to iTunes. They graciously accepted, published the podcast to their directory and that was the beginning.
Time passed and it started growing in popularity. I had Feedburner curating and managing the podcast feed which also provided some interesting statistics so I could see downloads were growing. Then, one day, I noticed a peak in the figures. Firing up iTunes confirmed why – the One Phat DJ Podcast was featured in their curated highlights. I was astounded, not only that anyone was actually listening to these mixes but iTunes saw them worthy enough to sit alongside music industry heavyweights like Defected and Kerrang!
This firmly established the demand for regular house music podcasts. I had already been talking to fellow podcast DJs about the market and where we sat. House music has a loyal, passionate audience (with occasional trends throwing it into the limelight). Other DJs and producers saw and embraced the opportunity to promote their music through this emerging channel and we were keen to keep providing the platform for them. It is, after all, for the love of house music.
I’ve had some challenges through the years to maintain delivering regular mixes as not to “let down” the loyal listeners. Thousands of people were now downloading the mixes every month and I felt contractually obliged to fulfil that desire and interest.
But I struggled and had to make some tough decisions on how to take things forward. Luckily, this is where the Souljackerz stepped in.
I knew these guys shared my passion for the music and, thankfully, had some amazing production skills. We all had ideas on how to take things forward so, after a short break, we rebranded the podcast “House Finesse” to open up our opportunities and reflect the range of sub-genres we were now covering.
Fast forward a few more years and here we are. Celebrating 10 years with regular mixes of the finest house music. It’s been quite a ride but we’re so proud to see what has been achieved over the years and continue to provide what you love – good house music.
With that in mind, I’m going to kick off proceedings with two hours of my favourite tracks from the years. It was quite a challenge selecting a handful from hundreds (thousands even) of house tunes. So I’ve ended up going back to my roots with a two hour “warmup” mix. The long-term listeners know exactly what that means – more to come later on this Summer.
We also have some amazing guest DJs lined up to help us celebrate over the coming weeks including people who have been pivotal to our journey. I won’t drop any names just yet – you can found out in good time. Don’t worry though – you’ll be treated to a new mix every Friday throughout the next two months. That should make your Summer soundtrack.
Download#OnePhatDecade Pt 1 - One Phat DJ (297 downloads)
- Duck Sauce – aNYway (Original Mix)
- The Montanas & DJ Roland Clark – Music Talking (Fred Falke Remix)
- Knights Of The Round Tables ft Jessie Matthews & Jamie Anderson – Daddy Funk 45 (El Divino Mix)
- Finishing Touch – Don’t Put Me Down (Harlem Hustlers Soul Reconstruction Mix)
- Secret Sounds – Come Back Home (Joey Negro Club Mix)
- Degrees Of Motion ft Billy Porter – Show Me (Original Vocal)
- Harley & Muscle ft India – Then Came You (Jamie Lewis Where We Came From Mix)
- DJ Meme Orchestra ft Rachel Claudio – Any Love (DJ Meme Original Club Mix)
- Pulse – The Lover That You Are (Marlon D & George Mena Club Mix)
- Mobin Master & Robin S – Show Me Love (Hot Rats Reload)
- Joey Negro & The Sunburst Band – Fly Away (Audiowhores Mix)
- Danny Clark, Jay Benham & Michelle Weeks – Hold on (Classic Vocal Mix)
- Joey Negro & The Sunburst Band – Sitting On Top of The World (DJ Meme Remix)
- Groove Foundation vs M.A.W. – To Be In Love With That Feelin’ (Jay Santi Bootleg Mash Up)
- No Halo – Put Your Hands On
- Booty Luv – Some Kinda Rush (Swing Kings Remix)
- Mekkah ft Steven Granville – Race Of Survival (Original)
- Beatz Kinetic – Push the Fader (Earnshaw & Jones Mix)
- Wawa & Herd ft Amanda Wilson – The Right Way (Triple D Remix)
- M-Gee ft Mica Paris – Bodyswerve (Warren Clarke Remix)
- Whitney Houston – Million Dollar Bill (Freemasons Club Mix)
- Redroche ft Mone – All I Need (Original Mix)