It doesn’t seem like yesterday when Mark Doyle was handing Hed Kandi over to Ministry of Sound, when Gnarles Barkley was getting everyone excited about download-only Number 1’s, when I only had responsibilities for myself and Lizzy. In that time, loads has happened (most importantly the arrival of Oscar James) so it seems only right to do what every typical DJ would do and look back over the last 12 months of music. I present to your That Was 2006.
I know, I know. We’re a little late on yet another podcast but you can imagine what was holding me up. Besides which, I’m only four days late. Anyway, I’m not going to go through all the things that happened throughout 2006, nor am I going to go on about recent releases that you should be buying. You know what you need to do. Read through the tracks and descriptions below, download and enjoy!
- 1. Joey Negro – Make A Move On Me (Vocal Club Mix)
- I’m introducing the mix with a track that doesn’t really need much of an introduction. It’s a perfect example of what Joey Negro (aka Dave Lee) is capable of creating and also a perfect example of what funky house music should sound like. Maybe it was in the Plain & Simple back in December of 2005 but it didn’t get an official release until Spring 2006. Therefore, it is worthy of kicking off the One Phat DJ “Best Of 2006” mix.
- 2. Michael Gray ft Shelly Poole – Border Line (Club Mix)
- One half of funky house legends, Full Intention teamed up with vocalist/lyricist Shelly Poole early last year to create a follow up anthem to Michael’s “The Weekend” and it worked a treat. Catchy hooks, catchy lyrics all produced to the typical high standard you come to expect from Mr Gray.
- 3. Future Funk – Wildberry Tracks (Vocal Mix)
- Another track that was around during the early months of 2006 came from German favourites, Future Funk with this release that has all the lovely sounds you’d want in a funky house track. Officially, the track was launched late 2005 but it lasted the scene for a while so I thought I’d give it a cheeky entry into my favourites for 2006.
- 4. ATFC ft Inaya Day – Reach Out To Me (Original)
- Aydin The Funki Chile is always prominent in One Phat DJ mixes, even funky house in general, and this offering is bang on. Strong, catchy diva vocals with some funky loops make it one of my favourite tracks of the year.
- 5. Blaze ft Barbara Tucker – Most Precious Love (Freemasons Proper Club Mix)
- I know the original was released in 2005 but it was them bloody Freemasons getting in on the act (yet) again that gave this track another chance in 2006. Among other remixes, it rekindled a spark I had for the original track and Barbara Tucker’s awesome vocal talents.
- 6. Armand Van Helden – My My My 2006 (Stonebridge Remix)
- You’d have thought this was a best of 2005 mix wouldn’t you? Again, more old material with a facelift for 2006, this time all thanks to our Stockholm resident Stonebridge and some delectable vocals from Tara McDonald made this track another commercial hit for Mr Van Helden, taking over our airwaves during the Summer months.
- 7. Etherfox – Something Different To Say (Original Vocal Mix)
- I’ve included this track in two mixes this year – once in my radio debut and then in the following month’s podcast. Having stumbled across it on Fierce Angel’s Es Vive Ibiza mix compilation, I fell in love with it straight away. Dreamy but upbeat – just pure gold!
- 8. Bassmonkeys ft Naomi Marsh – The Answer (Original Mix)
- Another track that grabbed my attention on the Es Vive Ibiza compilation. Mark Doyle has a knack for picking it out some fantastic tracks for his compilations and this is no exception. More of what you’d come to expect from One Phat DJ – just turn it up and enjoy.
- 9. Chanel – My Life (Grant Nelson Neo Funk (Edited))
- Chanel’s “My Life” has been doing the Hed Kandi circuit for quite a while now but it wasn’t until 2006 when it got its well-overdue release and took the commercial world by storm. Some lush remixing from One Phat Favourite Grant Nelson added the extra bass and sounds that the track needed to make it a big track. Good work Mr!
- 10. Freemasons ft Amanda Wilson – Watchin’ (Original 12″ Mix)
- Hot on the heels of Love On My Mind was Watchin’ – Freemason’s follow up track which proved the Brighton Boys were definitely not a one-trick pony. Among what seemed like hundreds of remixes, Watchin’ was the track that nailed it for me, even if it was a remix/cover of a classic Birmingham white label. Expect more from the Freemasons later this month with their third track Rain Down Love (featured in Bring Back The Funk) and a new album by the end of January.
- 11. Booty Luv – Boogie 2Nite (Seamus Haji Big Love Remix)
- Oh look – yet another remix that finally made it big in 2006, this time courtesy of our Big Love resident Seamus Haji and reworked vocals from the Big Brothers girls. Originally coined by US R&B girl Tweet, it was inevitable all the Hed Kandi coverage was going to throw this track into the limelight. Still going strong into 2007, I’m sure there are many ladies (and lads) having a Boogie 2nite to this track.
- 12. Fedde Le Grand – Put Your Hands Up For Detroit (Soul Central Loves Detroit Remix)
- I know its been played to death and I’m sure many of you are getting sick of a French bloke going on about a US city but you can’t deny its effect on the house scene in 2006. The original mix was catchy, even with its simple sound but I have to give my Brummy counterpart his due for this soulful remix that I just couldn’t get out of my head for the best part of 2 months. Big piano and string build ups make this track another favourite from 2006.
- 13. Sunkids ft Chance – Rise Up (Gospel Mix)
- Rise Up has featured in a couple of my podcasts in 2006, the Main Mix was way back in February’s “Going To Miami” and then Grant Nelson’s effort in September’s “Dancing Divas“. This time, I’m taking it back to basics with the Gospel Mix. Nice and simple – a really catchy piano hook, a simple bassline leaving you with pure quality vocals. This is what One Phat DJ loves!
- That Was 2006 (Podcast Version)
- That Was 2006 (Enhanced Version)
- That Was 2006 CD cover
- That Was 2006 CUE (Podcast)
- That Was 2006 CUE (Enhanced)
We will be back to normal by the end of the month with your normal dose of latest releases, upcoming tracks and exclusive promos in the funky house world so keep in touch if you want anything special played, if you have any material you’d like showcased (these mixes are listened to over 1500 people every month nowadays!) – it would be great to hear from you all.
Here’s to a great 2006 and (hopefully) an even better 2007!